Home > graphics, hackintosh > Quicktime and the stuttering mouse

Quicktime and the stuttering mouse

A few weeks ago I noticed a problem with mouse movement on the hackintosh, where the cursor would jump across the screen as if pausing for a fraction of a second. This only happened when quicktime was active, for example when using iTunes or the Quicktime player. An initial workaround was found at PCwizcomputer and while this worked by replacing a quicktime file it wasn’t a perfect solution.

Browsing for a better fix last week I found the weaksauce12 blog, also at PCwizcomputer. This highlights a problem with AppleUpstreamuserclient.kext. The explanation is that this kernel extention is for DRM use with the Macintosh versions of Nvidia 9400 and 9600 GPU’s. Although I have a 9800GT this appeared to be causing the problem as removing this kext did the trick. Combining this fix with iTunes 8.1 has made music a much better experience on the hackintosh.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: